Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Architect

People meet or are introduced. They say things to one another, smile. They are kind generally, though sometimes gruff. They often wear clothing that either does or does not appeal to others; sometimes it appeals only to some and not to others – this being one of the risks of fashion. I too do all of these things.

Just the other day I was introduced to a tall young man. This is Flat, he’s an architect. I was in awe, naturally. An architect? I mouthed. Yes, an architect.

I didn’t have anything kind or gruff to say to an architect, so I instead stood admiring his clothing. My, my, architects have such fine clothes, I said to myself. He nodded as if he heard what I was thinking.

I haven’t spoken with the architect since we were introduced, but I think of him often. What is the architect doing now? I periodically ask myself. And what is he wearing?

Then I wonder if he ever thinks of me.

No comments: